What is Golden Oldies Sport?
What is Golden Oldies Sport?
Established in 1979, with the staging of the 1st Golden Oldies World Rugby Festival, the Golden Oldies Sport Movement has generated and expanded a strong and successful relationship with mature age sportspeople-players, officials and supporters alike.
Now encompassing 10 sports, the celebration of sport played to the Golden Oldies Ethos has become truly international and is recognised as a way to maintain participation in and support for all 10 sports.
The long-standing enjoyment generated by extending playing careers in exotic, attractive international destinations has enabled us to understand our participants needs and to ensure that each Festival is arguably recognised as being the “best yet’!
Golden Oldies is about the love of the game and lives by the tenets of Fun, Friendship, Fraternity and overwhelming camaraderie.
Golden Oldies Sport Festivals are open to anyone aged 35 and over who enjoy playing their chosen sport in friendly international competition.
There is no upper age limit in Golden Oldies. Recently the World Golden Rugby Festival in Cardiff included more than a dozen players over the age of 80. The oldest being an Australian gentleman aged 87 who is already in preparation for the next Festival in 2018!
Rules are the standard rules for that particular sport and then adapted to meet the needs of Golden Oldies participants of all ages and abilities. The standard of play ranges from Competitive through a series of grades to Social. Teams and players are graded on self-assessed ability and the draw is created to ensure that all teams and players are evenly matched.
Golden Oldies World Sports Festivals are held every two years in various sporting destinations around the world. Argentina, Barbados, Canada, England, Fiji, Germany, Scotland, South Africa, the USA and Wales are just some of our past host destinations.
Major features of any Golden Oldies Festival are the hospitality and enjoyment of selected destinations, the many long-lasting friendships created amongst participants, the chance to continue playing careers well beyond recognised retirement ages and to enjoy a week long mix of sporting and social interaction with like-minded people from all parts of the sports world.
Golden Oldies Sports is an internationally expanding sporting community offering enjoyment to all participants, support to their respective sports and selected charities and new friendships for all who take part.
Golden Oldies Timeline
- The first Rugby Festival staged in Auckland, New Zealand with 15 teams entered.
- The first Hockey Festival staged in Auckland, New Zealand with 16 teams entered.
- The first Cricket Festival is staged in Auckland, New Zealand with 408 participants and 34 teams entered.
- The first Netball Festival is staged in Auckland, New Zealand with 600 participants and 40 teams entered.
- Christchurch hosts a Rugby Festival dinner for over 6,000 people, at the time reputed to be the largest ever sit-down sports participant dinner in the Southern Hemisphere.
- The first Golf Festival is staged in Rotorua, New Zealand with 45 participants.
- The first Softball Festival is staged in Hawaii, USA with 79 participants in 6 teams.
- Rugby celebrates its 21st Festival in Cardiff, Wales with 1,300 participants and 79 teams.
- Rugby breaks the Guinness World Record for the Largest Scrum with 1,297 participants on the 24th of August. The scrum was refereed by Nigel Owens, record holder for the most international rugby union matches refereed.
- All Golden Oldies World Sports Festivals come together for the first time in Christchurch for the Christchurch Casino Golden Oldies Sports Celebration 2018.
- Basketball, Football, Lawn Bowls and Squash make their Golden Oldies debut.
Frequently Asked Questions:
We don’t have a full team/I’m an individual can I still enter?
Not a problem, there are always teams looking for extra players! However you must still enter as your own team.
Do I have to take a package?
Yes – the packages form an essential part of the Festival structure. There are various package levels for your team to choose from.
Are flights included?
No - flights are not included in our Festival packages however our experienced travel consultant can help you find the right flights for you and our team. Contact Sarah Jay email@example.com
Do we need a Team Manager?
We strongly suggest that your team nominate a manager. The Team Manager is a very important point of contact for the organisers and has a big part to play in the success of a Festival. The Team Manager plays an invaluable role and deserves all the praise received from other team members for the time and commitment contributed.
Do you offer pre and post travel?
Yes – we want you to make the most out of your trip to New Zealand. We will put together a tour that suits you and ensures that you experience the best of this great country.
How do I enter?
You can enter online through the following link http://christchurchgoldenoldies.com/product-category/register/
Do you have a newsletter?
Yes - Electronic newsletters are distributed per sport every 6 weeks. To make sure that you are up to date with the Celebration please follow the link http://christchurchgoldenoldies.com/newsletter-sign-up/
What are your Terms and Conditions?
Our Terms and Conditions cover condition of entry, the payment schedule and our cancellation and refunds policy. Terms and Conditions for all sports can be found here http://christchurchgoldenoldies.com/entry/tc/
How do I pay?
Payments may be made either by cheque, bank transfer or credit card. Please note that Visa and MasterCard incur a 2.4% fee and Amex incurs a 3.9% fee.
If you have any additional questions please contact Ellie Bigsby – firstname.lastname@example.org
Buy G.O. Merchandise Online
For Flight and Travel information