Golden Oldies Softball Fast Pitch
Golden Oldies Softball (Fast Pitch) Ethos and Rules:
Golden Oldies Softball Festivals, owned and managed by Vintage Sport and Leisure Ltd (VSL), are implemented with the purpose of bringing together softball enthusiasts, 35 years of age and over to share their interest in softball, their love of the sport and to enjoy time spent with fellow enthusiasts.
There are four main principles on which every Golden Oldies World Softball Festival is built on:
- To provide players from any country an environment in which sportsmanship and camaraderie thrive. The Festivals are founded on Fun, Friendship and Fraternity for those who have retired from serious competitive play, but wish to continue participating in their favourite sport for sheer enjoyment.
- To provide an environment for participants to play against others who still prefer to play games more competitively, the opportunity to do so against like-minded teams, but still remaining dedicated to playing in a spirit of goodwill.
- To provide opportunities for team members and their spouses or partners to travel, create new friendships and renew old acquaintances.
- To encourage continuing respect for the traditions and values of softball.
Together, these opportunities can contribute to highlighting and promoting softball throughout the world, and to creating positive reasons for enthusiasts to retain an active interest in softball.
For Anyone 35+
Golden Oldies Festivals are open to men and women aged 35 years and over from any part of the world. Whether you are part of an established team, an individual or group of friends looking to join a Festival – you are all welcome.
Golden Oldies Softball (Fast Pitch) Rules and Standards
Teams will be graded according to their age and own assessment of their competitive ability.
Divisions: Men’s, Women’s and Mixed
Ages: 35+, 45+, 55+, 65+
Grade: Competitive, Semi-Competitive and Social
Ground rules should be discussed between umpires and team captains before each game.
All players participating in the game must appear in the batting order. Unlimited substitutions are allowed on defence only.
For the safety of players, once the batter squares to bunt, the batter may not pull the bat back and swing away.
Again, for the safety of players, steel cleats are not allowed at the Festival.
A DP (Designated player) and an EH (Extra hitter) may both bat in the line-up. They, as well as the Base Burglar, must be designated prior to the start of the game.
- The Base Burglar is a designated player that can be used strategically once per half inning, as a pitch runner. Whether to replace an injured player or to simply place speed on the bases at key times, the Base Burglar adds another player to a team’s line up and strategy to the offensive game.
- The Base Burglar must be designated in the line-up prior to the start of the game (similarly to a DH or EH). The base Burglar shall be designated as “BB”. The Base Burglar may be changed with a position player, once, at any time during the game.
- The Base Burglar will take the position player’s place in the field and batting order.
- The position player will then become the Base Burglar.
- The Base Burglar can also be used as a replacement player (eg. If a player gets hurt, the Base Burglar can take that players place, and the Base Burglar is eliminated from the game. This can only happen if the Base Burglar has not already entered into the game as a position player).
- Use of the Base Burglar is at the Team’s discretion, but is allowed during all modified tournament play.
The home team will be determined by a coin toss prior to each game. The team that wins the toss will have the choice of being home team or visitors.
All games consist of 7 innings, however, no inning will start after 1 hour 20 minutes. Please check the start time with the umpire.
Games are to be played to their normal conclusion. If the home team is leading after the top of the 7th inning, the umpire will call the game and the bottom of the 7th will not be played. The winner will be decided, by the team ahead at the last completed innings.
In the event that games are shortened due to rain, darkness, or any other circumstance deemed proper by the umpire, a minimum of 5 completed innings will constitute a full game. If less than 5 innings are completed, the game will be abandoned. For ranking, other games’ scores will be averaged.
The Festival Committee will do any necessary rescheduling, if this is feasible.
Home Run limits:
Home Run Limit
Inner ending out
Run Ahead Rule:
- 12 runs after 4 innings
- 8 runs after 5 innings
- Captains can mutually decide however to continue the game to its time/innings conclusion. However, runs scored after the above will not count for rankings.
Umpires Rulings are final. There is no dispute provision.
Respect for the Game:
- Teams are expected to respect our great game, their opponents, umpires and supporters by recognising that the Golden Oldies Ethos represents good sportsmanship, decent standards, friendship, fraternity and enjoyment of one of the greatest games.
- Teams are expected to wear correct softball protective wear,
Golden Oldies Softball is a wonderful celebration of the great game of Softball...relax and enjoy.
If you have any questions or require further clarification on the Ethos and Rules please do not hesitate to be in touch with Dianne McDermott – Dianne@govsl.com
Buy G.O. Merchandise Online
For Flight and Travel information